You will need a large round shaped cookie cutter and a small heart shaped cookie cutter. Fill these cookies with jam and decorate with icing or sprinkled icing sugar.
- 225g butter
- 180g icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 300g all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and icing sugar. Beat in egg, vanilla and almond extract. Mix well.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; blend into the butter mixture. Divide dough into thirds and shape into balls.
- Working with 1/3 of dough at a time, roll out dough into desired thickness on a lightly floured surface. For each sandwich cookie, cut out two large round shapes. Cut out the centre of ONE of the large round shapes with a small sized heart cutter.
- Place each piece separately on baking tray lined with parchment paper, a few cm apart. Bake in a preheated, 350 degree oven until very lightly browned (7 to 8 minutes for 6mm thick biscuits). Cool completely on wire rack.
- Use strawberry or raspberry jam to fill the cookies, spreading a layer of jam on the bottom cookie before placing the other cookie on top to form the sandwich. Alternatively, ice bottom cookie with icing before placing the other cookie on top. You can also ice the small hearts and serve as separate cookies.
- 125g sifted icing sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 drops red food colouring ( for pink icing)
- Blend sugar, salt and vanilla. Add just enough water to make it easy to spread. Add 2 drops red food colouring and mix well. Ice cookies!