As the COVID-19 pandemic begins to overwhelm the healthcare system, the staff at CHU Sainte -Justine will be provided with fresh meal deliveries, gifts and a star-studded, fundraising concert with the objective of supporting them through the peak of the crisis. The idea to pool together these resources over the next month was born from a conversation with the PR firm’s friend and neurosurgeon at the CHU Sainte-Justine, who expressed the increasing state of mental and physical exhaustion of his peers as they continue to profoundly commit to their tasks.
Sainte-Justine has been designated as one of four healthcare centres that will deal with COVID 19 cases. The institution and its medical teams are therefore pulling out all the stops to be prepared for a potential crisis. A respected leader in pediatric health, Sainte-Justine is the largest mother-and-child facility in Canada, treating half of all Quebec children requiring specialized care.
Dre. Julie Franc-Guimond, head of Oncology Surgery at the CHU Sainte-Justine, has been proclaimed the department’s “wellness guru”, taking it upon herself to ensure that the medical staff’s mental health is strong and that programs are set in place to help each one feel supported. Knowing that the next weeks will be incredibly taxing, she said that these acts of kindness from local businesses will truly motivate and encourage her team to keep going during the longest and hardest of days.
“All healthcare professionals are working under an unprecedented form of pressure right now, with anxiety running higher than usual,” said Dre. Franc-Guimond, “Providing them with a bit of ease and comfort during this period can help remind them that their efforts are appreciated beyond measure and that the community is here for them.”
Gracious and generous donations have been rounded up by Sundae Creative Agency in the effort to provide 200 staff with support, with the ambition to increase the amount of meals and gifting during the next few weeks:
Meals & Gifted items:
- Ristorante Portovino Dix30 will open their kitchen to safely prepare 200 individual meals (all homemade, from scratch) for medical staff, scheduled to be delivered over the next 10 days.
- Trattoria Susanna has provided and dispatched 50 fresh meals to doctors and nurses.
- Kiehl’s donates 200 Ultimate Strength Hand Salve, formulated for the driest, most active hands, ideal for physicians and nurses
- The Ten Spot offers 200 gift cards for a free manicure or pedicure, for any of their 3 Montreal locations
- DAVIDsTEA donates a variety of tea in various flavors
- Aroma Caffe offers two coffee machines with ample coffee, cups, sugar & milk for the staff lounge
- Midday Squares provides 200 bars for a healthy, superfood, vegan and gluten-free snack
- MATTEL donates close to 100 new toys for the patients aka the children of the hospital
Virtual Concert hosted by Canadian Singer/Song-Writer, Tyler Shaw
The bilingual virtual concert is part of the “Quarantunes” series, hosted by Tyler Shaw and will be live on Thursday, April 2nd on Shaw’s Instagram live account starting at 8:00pm (EST). The show will feature Montreal’s very own Olivier Dion and Sara Diamond. Other confirmed special guests are Neon Dreams, Sam Fischer and Fefe Dobson. The artists will encourage their audience to donate to the CHU Sainte-Justine Foundation with a dedicated link throughout the concert.
The global sentiment of gratitude for healthcare providers rings loudly in the city of Montreal and this initiative is to add even more authenticity to the message of “we are here for you” and that we are together in this time of crisis.
To view the live concert on Thursday, April 2nd, visit: @tylershaw on Instagram
To donate to the CHU Sainte-Justine foundation: https://bit.ly/2Uwrb94