Surge in E-Bike Battery Fires Sparks Urgent Warning in Australia

14

In the face of a worrying surge in fires caused by batteries incorporated into the growing fleet of e-bikes and e-scooters, a formidable warning has been declared. The universally present rechargeable lithium-ion batteries, fundamental to the operation of everything from smartphones to laptops, carry an inherent risk of overheating – even exploding – when improper charging practices are implemented. The resulting ramifications of such mishaps can lead to catastrophic outcomes.

A tragic instance of such a calamity was seen in Sydney in August when a 54-year-old man perished in the attempt to suppress a house blaze, believed to be sparked by inflamed lithium batteries. The toxicity of the resultant smoke caused him to pass out initially before his untimely demise.

Follow us on Google News! ✔️


An alarming incident recently unfolded in Sydney when an unsteady e-bike battery set off a fire at a hostel, leading to the hasty evacuation of over 70 occupants. Couple the noxious fumes that these batteries release when ignited with the intense difficulty in extinguishing such fires, and the potential for disaster becomes clearer.

According to Fire and Rescue NSW’s Superintendent Scott Dodson, as of 2023, fire squads in New South Wales alone have attended 32 situations involving e-bikes and e-scooters. This figure showcases a significant 94 percent increase compared to the same timeframe the previous year.

Based on the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission’s prediction, each average household will possess an astonishing 33 devices powered by lithium-ion batteries by 2026. “The increasing reports of lithium-ion battery fires, creating property damage and severe injuries such as burns, chemical exposure, and smoke inhalation, are of deep concern,” affirms ACCC Deputy Chair Catriona Lowe.

Furthermore, these batteries’ pivotal role in electric vehicles like Teslas, an indispensable element in Australia’s transition to net zero emissions, should not be overlooked. Earlier this year, a luxury electric vehicle’s battery initiated a blaze at Sydney Airport, causing the destruction of five cars.

A compelling reminder of the hazard lithium-ion batteries present when handled improperly occurred when a garbage truck at Bondi Beach dramatically caught fire because of a battery that had been mingled with everyday items. “Consumers must ensure lithium-ion batteries do not end up in household trash and consult recyclemate.com.au and bcycle.com.au to understand safe disposal methods,” advised Ms. Lowe.

Several conditions can cause lithium-ion batteries to burst into flames, including overcharging, non-compliant charging equipment usage, overheating, extreme temperature exposure, physical damage, short-circuiting, battery cell or system faults, and manufacturing defects or contamination.