New Details Emerge on Suspect in Tragic London, Ontario Family Assault


Further insight emerged on Monday regarding the mentality of the man implicated in the vehicular assault that led to the demise of three generations of a Muslim family in London, Ontario.

Recent court exhibits disclosed 22-year-old Nathaniel Veltman, in police custody immediately following the tragic incident. The documents depict the procedural arrest experience at the London Police Service headquarters, including Veltman’s booking, photographing, fingerprinting, and ultimately, his confinement within a holding cell.

Subsequently, Veltman participated in an interview with Det. Micah Bourdeau, whose testimony persisted into its second day on Monday. Veltman expressed a sense of relief following the incident, stating, “I had a huge sense of relief…okay I did it, it’s over, I’m going to jail.”

Furthermore, Veltman disassociated himself from white supremacy in his dialogue with Bourdeau. He identified as a nationalist, stating, “White people have the right to exist and we don’t have to give everything to foreigners.”

Admitting to having few friends, Veltman revealed his preparedness for lifelong incarceration, stating, “I’ve prepared myself to spend the rest of my life in jail to send this message.”

The Afzaal family fell victim to this tragedy on June 6, 2021. As they strolled along Hyde Park Road, a black pickup truck struck them, claiming the lives of Madhida and Salman, the parents, 15-year-old daughter Yumnah, and grandmother Talat. A nine-year-old son, the sole survivor, now resides with relatives.

Minutes after the tragic incident, police apprehended Veltman in a shopping mall parking lot on Oxford Street West. He has since pleaded not guilty to four counts of first-degree murder and a single count of attempted murder.

Veltman ceased discussions concerning his actions when further probed by Bourdeau, stating, “Look I said before I didn’t want to do this…I just felt it was the only way I could send the message that I had to send.” On inquiring if he was familiar with the Afzaal family, Veltman remained noncommittal, stating, “I can’t confirm or deny.”

Throughout the cross-examination, Christopher Hicks, Veltman’s lawyer, cited the defendant’s lack of sleep and adequate nutrition on the night of the police interview. Despite this, the jury was informed that the officer had proffered food to the accused on several occasions.

Det. Bourdeau’s testimony will resume on Tuesday, along with the progression of the Crown’s case. Concluding with a detailed timeline of Veltman’s arrest and procedural measures, the court exhibits provide a comprehensive overview of the proceedings following the tragic event.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here