One more person has succumbed to the virus, and 44 new infections registered in Manitoba on Sunday, the last press briefing said.
Half of the cases the province has reported were recorded in Winnipeg. The northern region had 14 new cases, 3 in the south and 2 in the Interlake and prairie regions.
One of the cases, a man in his 70s, who was linked to another outbreak of South Personal Care Home, succumbed, the briefing said. This places the total fatality at 917 cases.
The report also said that it’s likely the public was infected to a variant on one of Winnipeg’s Transit buses about two weeks prior. Health officials estimate that this exposure may have happened between the 4th and 5th of March, on Route 16 between the time of 11 am and 12 noon. The case rode through Osborne street, River avenue, and then through Manitoba avenue and lastly Ellington street.
No other cases of variants were reported on Sunday.
So far, Manitoba has 891 active infections and 30935 recoveries. Manitoba’s 5-day positivity rate went up 0.3 percent to 4.5 percent on Sunday, after Saturday’s report. Winnipeg’s positivity went up 1 percent, from the previous 2.9 percent.
Hospitalization cases declined to 148 as of Saturday, down from the previous 152. However, the number of those receiving intensive care went up by a single case totaling 23.
In all, labs tested 1573 persons as of Friday, with the total number of completed tests reaching 549687. This comes at a time when the province reported 94 infections and 4 fatalities on Saturday.