Macarthur FC Captain Accused in Match-Fixing Scandal Shakes Australian Soccer


A tremor of scandal shook Australian professional soccer on Friday when allegations surfaced that the captain of Macarthur FC, a respected A-League club, had manipulated match results and lined his pockets in the process.

It is claimed that the seasoned leader managed to get two of his younger teammates to receive yellow cards intentionally, an underhanded ruse premeditated to tilt the odds favorably. The total payout received for this skullduggery? A sizable sum of up to 10,000 Australian dollars, approximately 6,600 US dollars. At the heart of this unseemly operation, speculations point towards a shadowy South American gambling ring.

Follow us on Google News! ✔️

Ulises Davila, the Macarthur team captain, has been pinpointed by local media as the orchestrator of this scheme. Kearyn Baccus and Clayton Lewis, his colleagues on the field and pawns in the match-fixing gambit, were arrested following their alleged involvement, which is believed to have funneled hundreds of thousands of dollars in winnings into certain pockets.

The trail of guilt does not stop at these three. Another player is yet to be grilled by authorities. Refusing to bow to the long arm of the law, this individual may see himself extradited if he does not voluntarily subject himself to questioning in New South Wales state.

The investigators have set their sights on two particular games played on Nov. 24 and Dec. 9. According to their claims, the trio manipulated these matches by accumulating yellow cards deliberately. They are also believed to have attempted the same trick on April 20 and May 4, albeit without much success.

Macarthur FC managed to eke out a 1-1 draw with Melbourne Victory on Nov. 24, and they triumphed over Sydney FC 2-0 on Dec. 9. Perhaps in an ironic twist of fortune, all three implicated players were handed yellow cards in the victory against Sydney.

The team also clinched a narrow 1-0 win over Sydney on April 20, before copping a crushing 4-0 defeat against the same side in a playoff knockout match on May 4. Despite these fluctuating results, Macarthur finished a respectable fifth in the regular season.

“The players have betrayed the trust of their supporters and the game,” stated Police Assistant Commissioner Michael Fitzgerald. He asserted his belief that these deliberate yellow cards could have influenced the outcome of these games.

Davila, along with his two alleged accomplices, were arrested in distinct locations in Sydney following an execution of search warrants. These actions marked the climax of an intensive six-month police investigation following suspicions of manipulative betting patterns.

Sam Krslovic, Macarthur FC’s chief executive, stated with chagrin that the club had been blindsided by the arrests. Nevertheless, pledging full support, he added, “Integrity of our game is a foundation pillar and we will work closely with all relevant agencies on this matter.”

None of the accused players have been charged so far, but the likelihood of bail before initial court appearances seems nearly certain. In the meantime, they continue to be held at the police stations.

Football Australia revealed that they were notified of the arrests on Friday morning, assuring their full cooperation in the investigation.

Macarthur FC has been a strong fixture in the A-League men’s competition since the 2020-21 season. This sudden turmoil is a shocking deviation from the anticipation of the grand final championship match of the season, scheduled for May 25, featuring 11 clubs based in Australia and one in New Zealand.