Investigation Into Herron Care Facility To Start Tuesday

0
7

It is more than a year since abhorrent conditions at a long-term care facility came to light.

Only three staff were assigned the task of caring for 133 residents at a time when the facility was battling COVID-19.

Peter Wheeland had both parents at the care facility. His father was moved out of the care facility, but later succumbed to the Coronavirus. The mother, on the other hand, was painfully neglected.

Wheeland says she has a catheter, whose urine back filled up and burst, spilling urine all over her space. She had not had breakfast, and at lunch time, a neighbor brought a breakfast try that someone else had left across the hall.

An inquest by the coroner, that was scheduled to start in February, was called off while the police undertook a criminal investigation.

The crown said last week that it would not prefer charges, meaning the coroner’s inquest can continue on Tuesday.

Lawyer for a few of the Herron families, Patrick Martin-Menard, said there is plenty to learn from what the witnesses have to say. He added that it is his hoe that after the inquest, the government scraps private long-term care.

Wheeland says that considering that the aging population is Quebec is growing, this is the best time for the government to effect the right kind of change. He added the inquest stepping stone, even if it brings back things he would rather forget.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here