Did you know that you can get healthy foods to protect your eyes from damage as you age?
When it comes to eye health, wearing good quality sunglasses can protect us from damaging UV rays, but we can also benefit from providing highly protective nutrients.
Great nutrients and colourful fruits and vegetables for eye-health:
- PURPLE-BLUE: contain polyphenols and flavonoids – these can be found in eggplant, blackberries, plums and purple grapes
- RED: Lycopene and anthocyanins – try beets, cherries, tomatoes, apples, watermelon, red onions and radishes.
- GREEN: Chlorophyll – found in broccoli, leafy greens, kiwi, Brussels sprouts, beans and green peppers.
- ORANGE-YELLOW: Lutein, quercetin, zeaxanthin and Beta-carotene – look for pineapples, lemons, mango, papaya, peaches, oranges and carrots
- WHITE: Selenium and sulphur compounds: try garlic, onions, leeks and cabbage
Every colour we eat can serve as a soldier in our army of health.