Hit and Run Suspect Faces Court in Fatal Collision of International Student in Barrie


In a shocking incident that took place in Barrie last month, a young man accused of a fatal hit and run collision made his appearance in court on Monday. The police have been meticulously assembling additional evidence to unravel the events leading up to the unfortunate demise of Varsil Patel.

Hailing from India, Patel was in Canada as an international student, where he pursued computer programming at Georgian College. His life met an abrupt, tragic end when he got struck by a vehicle at the crossroads of Big Bay Point and Leggott Avenue en route to his job at Circle K. The incident occurred shortly after 10 PM on July 21.

According to local police authorities, the vehicle’s driver, believed to be involved in this critical accident, fled the scene. The same car, bearing visible damage, was eventually discovered in a proximate parking lot, ostensibly down the street, where it had ignited into flames.

The police subsequently obtained and executed a search warrant on the vehicle. A local 19-year old man from Barrie has been apprehended and officially charged with dangerous driving causing death and fleeing the scene post an accident culminating in death. Granted bail, he is scheduled for his next video appearance in late September.

Court proceedings strictly prohibit the disclosure of any evidence presently being reviewed. Nevertheless, sources within the police department revealed to CTV News that necessary materials were secured for their ongoing investigation. Their prime objective remains extracting substantial data from the vehicle’s onboard computer system, crucial to establishing the circumstances around the crash.

In a heart-warming response, a GoFundMe campaign initiated to finance the repatriation of Patel’s body to India and provide financial assistance to his family exceeded $40,000. Patel’s family was counting heavily on the remittances he sent home during his stay in Barrie.

Patel’s workplace, the Circle K, placed a floral tribute on a countertop accompanied by a note expressing profound sorrow over their colleague’s loss. Also, in solemn commemoration of his death, the flags at Georgian College’s Barrie campus flew at half mast.

Due to the ongoing legal process, the Barrie police refrained from commenting further on this case, maintaining that the allegations leveled against the accused are yet to be proven in court.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here