Millett Lumber in Chester Grant, N.S. caught fire on Monday. The fire crew arrived on the scene and immediately started combating the flames that have spread all over the site. With the help of rain, they have managed to contain the fire.
Chief Doug Rines of the Chester Basin Volunteer Fire Department said that the crew was alarmed just before 1 p.m. AT.
Rines said that when the crew arrived on the scene the main building was completely engulfed in flames.
‘It’s a writeoff, a big loss.”
Another 11 departments from the surrounding areas arrived on the scene shortly after Rines’ crew got there. In total, 70 firefighters fought the blaze until around 7 p.m. Monday. They were helped by rain that managed to prevent the fire from spreading. Although the fire didn’t spread further, the main building was completely ruined.
Millett Lumber was established in 1965 by Wayne Millett. The family still runs the business and in 2017 the mill was renovated. This is not the first mill fire in Nova Scotia this season. Last month, Lewis Mouldings in Weymouth was badly damaged as well.