Update: Costco has since removed the advisory from its website. A West Island Blog reporter has since visited the Pointe-Claire location and masks were not required.
Due to COVID-19, the retailer Costco will make it mandatory to wear the mask in its stores across Quebec over the next few days for all of its customers.
The Canadian division of the American company is expected to make the announcement soon. The employees have already been asked to wear masks at work.
In the wake of the US announcement, many Canadians took to social media to express their desires that more retailers take this same approach to COVID-19 safety.
Costco reserves the right to refuse access to its establishments to persons who will not comply with this new instruction. Customers can wear medical masks, fabric or homemade.
Management wants people to cover their mouths and noses. A person removing his mask while shopping could be asked to leave the store by officials, an employee warned.
It appears, though not confirmed, that like the USA, this new measure will not apply to children under 2 years of age or to people unable to wear a mask due to a health problem.
Costco management announced similar measures on Thursday from the United States. In a press release, it was stated that the wearing of the mask will be mandatory for our neighbors to the south from May 4.
In recent weeks, the retailer has reviewed some of its policies to limit the spread of the virus and protect its employees and customers. Like many establishments, there are now restrictions on the return of goods, hours are reserved for people over the age of 60 and there are limits on the number of consumers.
Costco will be one of the first retailers across the country to make it mandatory to wear the mask in its stores. The West Island Blog has reported that other sanitary measures should always be observed.
Changes Costco is implementing in the USA
- Face masks: All customers and employees are required to wear masks or other face coverings.
- Senior hours: Select Costco warehouses will be open from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m., Monday through Friday for members ages 60 and older.
- First responder hours: Member healthcare workers and first responders have priority access to the warehouse during all open hours.
- Product limitations: The company has implemented limits on individual items to help ensure more members can purchase merchandise they want and need
- Reusable shopping bags: Costco is allowing members to use their reusable shopping bags as long as they pack the bags themselves Unless prohibited by local mandates.
- Return restrictions: Warehouses are not accepting returns on toilet paper, bottled water, sanitizing wipes, paper towels, rice and disinfecting spray
- Limited service: There will be limited or no service at the Hearing Aid department, Costco Optical, the floral department and the jewelry department. Limitations vary by location.
- Food court: A limited menu is available at Costco food courts. Orders are only available for takeout, and seating is not available.
Source: TVA Nouvelles, Costco USA, Costco Canada