- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp butter, melted (I just used salted)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 3 large eggs
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together cornmeal and buttermilk until well blended, allow to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees during last 5 minutes of mixture resting. Butter a 13 by 9-inch baking dish, set aside
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside. Add melted butter, applesauce, sugar, honey and eggs to cornmeal mixture and whisk until well combine. Stir in dry ingredients and whisk just until combine and no longer lumpy. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish, spread into an even layer and bake 23 – 26 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 – 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with honey or whipped honey butter (recipe in notes below). Store in an airtight container.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy
For the whipped honey butter: In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, whip together 1/2 cup softened salted butter, 1/3 cup honey, and 1/4 cup powdered sugar until mixture becomes light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.