While this recipe is a traditional middle eastern salad, it fits very well in most of today’s healthy eating programs. Spinach, olive oil and onions dressed with lemon juice make a delicious combination.
You will need:
2 10 oz pkgs fresh spinach
1 large garlic clove
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup olive oil
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup water
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup pine nuts (or toasted slivered almonds)
1/4 vegetable oil for frying
lemon wedges for garnish
- Remove stems from spinach, wash several times and drain
- Place spinach in a large pot with water and steam for about 5 minutes or until tender
- Drain and rinse in cold water. Lightly squeeze spinach with hands to remove excess water.
- Mash garlic in a bowl with salt. Add oil and lemon juice and mix well. Pour over spinach, tossing lightly to coat all leaves.
- Fry onions in hot oil until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Arrange spinach on a platter and garnish with fried onions and lemon wedges.