Convicted: Deonte Murray Faces Life Sentence for Attempted Murder of LA Deputies


A man found guilty of an onslaught of criminal offenses which included attempted murder was convicted on Thursday, according to statements made by the prosecution. The crimes involved shooting two deputies of the Los Angeles County sheriff’s department in a sinister incident outside a transit station in September 2020.

Deonte Murray, a 39-year-old man, was held accountable on a string of 10 charges. Among the litany of accusations were three counts of attempted murder, carjacking, robbery, an assault involving a semi-automatic firearm, as well as the illegal possession of firearms as disclosed by the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office on Thursday.

Follow us on Google News! ✔️

The terrifying incident unfolded when Murray shot the two deputies as they sat unsuspecting in their patrol car outside a Metro station located in Compton, California on September 12, 2020. Responding to the incident, authorities eventually arrested Murray after a three-day intense manhunt, with the officers battling for their lives in surgical procedures and a grueling recovery period.

Interestingly, the shooting of the officers was not the first of Murray’s offenses, as revealed by the authorities. Earlier in that same month, on September 1, 2020, in Compton, Murray shot the owner of a Mercedes-Benz in the leg using a high-powered rifle only to steal the luxurious car, the prosecutors reported.

Murray came into the purview of law enforcement as a suspect in the carjacking and found himself under arrest by September 15, 2020. As Murray tried to avoid capture, he discarded a firearm from his vehicle. It was later established that this was the same firearm used in the shooting of the deputies, according to Sheriff’s Capt. Kent Wegener of Los Angeles County. The firearm, dubbed a “ghost gun”, is notoriously hard to trace due to the fact that it is assembled from multiple parts.

His arrest for the carjacking was a pivotal moment as it led to his identification as the suspect in the shooting of the deputies. The chilling incident was recorded on surveillance video, showing a merciless gunman nonchalantly approach the passenger door of the parked squad car outside the Martin Luther King Jr. Transit Center, open fire, and then hurriedly flee the scene.

With the conviction now secured, Murray stares at a possible life sentence in prison. Meanwhile, his defense attorney has refrained from commenting on the conviction. The district attorney underscored the implications of the verdict, noting that it underlines their commitment to safeguarding those who serve and affirms that violent acts do not go unnoticed.

Thus, the determination and diligence of the Los Angeles County’s law enforcement community led to the successful resolution of a case which brought a dangerous criminal to justice, reinforcing the importance of the justice system in maintaining civic order and social balance.