Canada Day falls the first week of July. Happily so does strawberry season in Quebec.
This is a fun way to celebrate the holiday and the season. Dipping the berries can be done a day ahead leaving you free to relax and celebrate with everyone else. Dipped strawberries also make a beautiful hostess gift if you are attending a party.
- 1 pound ripe strawberries
- 1 12-ounce bag white chocolate chips (Bulk Barn has them in disk form)
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- optional: sprinkles, food coloring
- Rinse strawberries with cold water, gently (but thoroughly) pat dry with paper towels, set aside. Line a small-medium baking sheet (something that will fit in your fridge) with parchment paper.
- In a microwave safe bowl, (or double boiler, this choice always depends on my energy level) melt chocolate chips with Crisco and stir until smooth. Carefully dip strawberries into melted chocolate, turning all the way around so that both sides are coated with chocolate.Place on prepared baking sheet.
- When all strawberries are dipped, place the baking sheet in the fridge to cool. Add a few drops of food coloring (color of your choice!) into the melted chocolate (if it has begun to set, just put it back in the microwave on half heat for a few seconds and give it a stir) and stir until smooth and coloring is even. You can also melt dark or milk chocolate for this process as an alternative. Remove strawberries from the fridge. Carefully transfer colored chocolate into a zip lock bag, seal it and snip off just a tiny bit of one bottom corner. Drizzle colored chocolate onto strawberries in any design you like. Top with sprinkles. Return to fridge for about 10 minutes to set up. Store in airtight container in fridge up to 3 days.