Calgary Stampeders Rally Late to Break Losing Streak Against Edmonton Elks


In an exhilaratingly surprising turn of events, the Calgary Stampeders overcame a 15-point deficit in the fourth quarter, securing a 35-31 victory over the visiting Edmonton Elks. The Monday clash showcased the Stampeders’ Stampeder quarterback, Jake Maier, who achieved a rushing touchdown and a touchdown pass delivered to Reggie Begelton in the end zone. Dedrick Mills, with a mere 20 seconds left in the game, secured the winning goal with a four-yard carry.

This surprise victory led Calgary (4-8) to break their three-match losing streak while Edmonton (2-10) fell to 2-2 since Tre Ford, a burgeoning Canadian prospect, stepped up as the Elks’ starting quarterback. The CFL clubs from Alberta are set to clash again in Edmonton this coming Saturday.

Follow us on Google News! ✔️

During the game, Maier completed 27 out of Gis 34 passes for an impressive 315 yards while throwing one interception. Calgary’s otherwise successful game was supported by Rene Paredes who effortlessly kicked field goals from 15, 24, 32 and 48 yards, assisted by Cody Grace’s punt single, in front of a roaring crowd of 26,741 at the cloudy McMahon Stadium.

On the opposing side, Ford rushed for 135 long yards. The promising quarterback completed 14 out of his 23 passes for 136 yards. The eventful Labour Day game saw Ford score a touchdown pass without a single interception. Edmonton slotback Steven Dunbar made a notable contribution with a couple of touchdown passes, while third-string quarterback Taylor Cornelius managed to score a one-yard rushing touchdown.

Dean Faithfull contributed to Edmonton’s endeavor with field goals kicked from 20, 39 and a remarkable season-high 46 yards. Jake Julien further boosted the Elks’ score with a punt single.

Despite trailing 28-13 in the initial moments of the fourth quarter, Maier scored Calgary’s first touchdown of the match with a five-yard run, closing down Edmonton’s lead to just eight points. The gap widened to 11 points when Faithfull’s 46-yard field goal favored Edmonton, but Calgary retaliated by successfully alleging pass interference on a Maier pass to Reggie Begelton in the end zone in the last three minutes.

Applauding chants of “Go Stamps Go” filled the stadium as Calgary gained the ball back with two-and-a-half minutes to go. Maier led Calgary on an 83-yard drive ending with Mill’s winning run. Despite being booed earlier for fumbling the ball, Maier rebounded strongly, much to the delight of the home crowd.

Edmonton, however, converted Calgary’s early fumble into a touchdown as wide receiver Kyran Moore received a handoff from Ford, passing to Dunbar in the end zone. Despite lead changes and the persistent fight from Edmonton, untimely penalties and missed opportunities marked their downfall as Calgary celebrated a hard-fought victory on a smoky night at McMahon Stadium.