On Thursday, Nunavut’s Health Officials and Government have reported 10 new COVID-19 cases in Arviat. The hamlet now has 14 active cases and four recoveries recorded.
Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Michael Patterson talked to the press on Thursday:
“Now that they’ve had this period of curfew, the numbers are dropping. I know today is not the news that everyone wanted to hear. But remember it was 25 cases on Thursday last week, 14 today, [and] still no evidence of uncontrolled transmission. So if things continue on this way, we can look at working with the hamlet to ease some of the measures next week.”
Of all the settlements in the territory, Arviat has seen the most COVID-19 cases. The hamlet reported 325 of Nunavut’s total of 369 confirmed cases.
The local government stated that everyone currently infected is doing well and isolating at home. Dr. Patterson said that there is no evidence of community transmission or of vaccine failure and that the contact tracing process continues.
Premier Joe Savikataaq advised the residents to remain vigilant:
“Arviat — lockdown has been long and tiring. I know how hard you’re working and how difficult this has been. For those with COVID-19, please remain isolated and stay focused on protecting your loved ones and community. All Nunavummiut are rooting for Arviarmiut, and we are here to support you. Reach out to friends and family by phone, text and virtually. Let’s get the spread of the virus under control with positivity and determination.”
Dr. Patterson told the press that health teams are working hard to determine the links between the cases in Arviat.
“Isolation and participation in the test, trace and isolate process are our best defenses and must be taken seriously. I want to remind Arviarmiut the importance of cooperating with all public health measures to keep your friends, family, and community safe.”
On Thursday, 2,419 negative tests in Arviat were announced.